I decided after all this time to upgrade to 8.1, in May 2014, over half a year since it has been released. My upgrade process went as follows:
- Download upgrade to 8.1 from store I never use
- Install upgrade to 8.1 which was fairly quick in terms of OS upgrades
- Watch computer reboot and do 'magic'
- Watch Windows 8.1 start up
- Watch Windows 8.1 give me a blue screen and reboot
- Watch Windows 8.1 downgrade itself back to Windows 8 and reboot
- Windows 8 loads up and kindly informs me the upgrade failed and I am now running Windows 8
I don't really have an exotic hardware setup, yes I run high-end parts but nothing strange and a modest overclock compared to most. But after this long I would have thought Microsoft would have invested the time to work out the upgrade bugs... Instead I find a nice thread back from October 17, 2013 with 400+ responses talking about how the upgrade fails in an identical manner to me.
Windows 8 keeps looking more and more like a lemon, good thing it boots fast or I would have downgraded (or should I say upgrade) to 7 a long time ago...
Will Windows 9 prove to be awesome? Only time and Microsoft can tell you that... Some days I wish Linux had better game support.