October 18, 2012

Progress on 0.1.6

It has been a busy week and I've had very little time to work on Combatics Evolution. It isn't totally unexpected as being a student full time does mean I have course work and midterms to worry about. I have been able to squeeze in a few new changes but am currently learning a handy little framework for networking.

My goal for 0.1.6 was to get the editor up and running over a network, but I think that goal is a bit ambitious considering I have a bunch of UI to create in order to make the whole workflow rather seamless. Currently, I have a deployable server but I'll probably have to package it up nicely for users to be able to easily create and run. It is built in a very flexible manner which will allow me to easily add/remove server commands and is written in Java since that allows the least amount of work to integrate with the client.

My goal is going to simply be creating a server lobby for the upcoming version and support text-based chat. I'll probably have to spend a bit of time kicking the android side to make the user actually able to log in. I hook into google accounts for the desktop side, so the android side isn't going to be a ton of work *crosses fingers*. Currently, the name will be the full name on your google account, but I will need to setup a database system to store 'nicknames' for people to use as their alias. I don't want to intentionally expose personal identifiable information to other clients.

Anyways, I'll probably cook up a few abilities while I twiddle my fingers on how exactly I'm going to hook up the editor over the network. So maybe a few new abilities will make it into the update.

No comments :

Post a Comment