September 27, 2012

Progress on 0.1.3

After a bit of planning and research I've finally determined how to handle saving the game between sessions. It is all working and was fairly straight forward, but it is not the final solution.

Essentially, I'm focusing on creating the temporary saves and I'm ignoring preserving saves between versions.    I figure once I get more of the fundamentals of the game fleshed out then I can worry about cross-version saves. I certainly have a long ways to go with many features I want to implement.

Right now my thoughts are on which feature to tackle next. I could spend time focusing on developing the combat, developing some actual opponents and build up the world map. Or I could focus on custom content creation and putting in the map editor. It isn't easy to decide because both will depend on each other, and developing them in parallel would be silly.

For the editor, I have a few ideas listed in priority and importance:

  • High
    • Cube-based map content (think Minecraft Classic but without the person).
    • Specifying spawn points for teams (only 2 teams for now).
    • Specify win/lose conditions from preset list.
  • Medium
    • Terrain tile sets, sort of like from Warcraft 3, but you could actually create them inside the editor.
    • Specify where units spawn and which type of units.
  • Low
    • Programmable custom event system (think JASS but I'd probably use Python).

Either way, I am on track for 0.1.3, a few more abilities might make it in but I won't make that a priority. Actually, I'm starting to think working on the editor first would be a better idea because it will influence work on a number of other systems... especially the work I've done so far for abilities. In fact, I think I will halt my work on abilities and focus my attention on the editor once I finish profiles.

No comments :

Post a Comment