July 12, 2011

Delays

It feels like a while since I've made an update, but rest assured this isn't because I'm not trying/wanting to. I am planning on doing a larger than normal update mostly because I don't want to give a bad impression. I'm also getting that sick feeling so instead of staying up and working on development. Then getting sick and regretting it, so I think I'm going to call an early night and get some more sleep.

I had an interesting idea come into my head when I was driving home the other day. Using polymorphism to also classify objects into categories, and no this isn't a new concept to me, I simply found a very useful way to apply it to games. This pretty much makes sense to anyone, but what it allows me to do is treat many different types of objects in a unified way. An example would be, I have a spawn unit which I can have inherent something called 'attackable'. This means it has methods for taking damage or getting an armor value, etc. Then I can very easily make the towers attack-able by simply inheriting that and implementing the related methods. It will make it easy to check conditions because something that is an instanceof attackable is obviously something you can attack.

For non-programmers that probably won't make any sense, so don't worry about it. Tomorrow I plan to put in quite a bit of time to development, but tonight I think sleep would do me some good so I don't get sick.

No comments :

Post a Comment