June 18, 2011

Graphics rendering

It appears my original source of information on 2D graphics rendering was crap. It wasn't using any GPU and was fully dependent on CPU. This became apparent when I started to draw 800x600 images at 60fps. It basically couldn't go any faster than 37 frames per second. I'll give my CPU some credit for that, since its pretty damn impressive for completely non-accelerated rendering.

The difference is unquestionable. Using my graphics card I was able to pump out 10000 FPS. I'm not even kidding about that, mind you I do have one of the best single GPU cards on the market. I found it just absolutely stunning to go from 37 FPS to 10000FPS doing almost the exact same thing. I was expecting to jump up to maybe a few hundred, but to go to a few thousand is absurd.

Bad news is, I have to go re-implement this new rendering mechanism, but thanks to highly modular code this won't be hard... just take quite a bit of time. The good news is, I've increased the performance of my framework by 10000/37 = 270 times!

No comments :

Post a Comment